Monday, September 27, 2010

This Year Fall Smells Like...

So, I do this semi-weird thing where I pick a scent for a certain season or event in life, so that whenever I smell that specific scent, it brings back all of these memories or that certain time in my life. Does anyone else do this - purposefully choose what smells they want to associate with seasons of life?

What began this quirky habit was this really weird lipgloss I had in middle school. It was from the Gap and the flavor was chocolate orange. Don't know why I even owned that - I hate chocolate and citrus together (it must have either been a gift, or really cheap!) Anyway, it had a very distinct smell, and for years whenever I opened up that lip gloss, or smelled it on someone else, all of these memories and feelings from middle school came flooding back. Fortunately for me, I had a pretty positive middle school experience (I realize I might be one of the only people in the world who can truthfully make this statement), and so I began to recognize how closely smells are connected to memory. It would happen with certain lotions that I had a different times, and so I eventually began to choose smells on purpose for certain seasons or even big trips I went on, to help bring back memories later.

Warm Vanilla Sugar = Costa Rica (I still can't tell you why I didn't choose a tropical flavor)
Herbal Essences (the pink one) = my dear friend and once upon a time roommate Sandi
Coconut Lime Verbena = summer in general, especially during college and the last couple of years. Also, the Bahamas.
Winter Candy Apple = Thanksgiving through Christmas, plus winter in general.
Pumpkin Spice candles = Autumn in Spartanburg

And now.....

Caramel Apple candle = Autumn in Knoxville. (I'm seriously obsessed with this candle. I light it, literally every time I'm going to be home for more than 10 mins.)

So there you have it, the scent of fall this year.

*For those who would also like to enjoy my fall scent, the Caramel Apple candle can be purchased at a participating Wal-Mart near you for the extra low price of only $5!

No comments:

Post a Comment