Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sleeping with Roaches

The name of this post says it all. For real. Not. Kidding. This morning I woke up, looked over, and there was a cockroach crawling across the bedspread. Gross! This was after I had already killed a few the night before and sprayed my room so much that I was a bit concerned about the lasting damage done to my respiratory system.
I'm on vacation with my family in North Florida visiting extended family before a few days at the beach. I love coming here because it takes me back to my childhood. My whole family used to come down here every summer - aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents - and meet up with the rest of our really extended family (great aunts and uncles, 2nd and 3rd cousins, great-grandparents....). Our days were spent running around outside, getting bitten by mosquitos and fire ants, and doing a hundred random (and probably a bit reckless) things that became sweet memories.

I thought I'd record a few:

Swimming in a lake fed by underground springs where people come to see the vast amounts of alligators. Also, an old version of the Tarzan movie was filmed there.
Swimming in creeks where there were possibly alligators and definitely water moccasins.
Catching a million +1 frogs/toads/lizards.
Running around in the yard after the rain, sliding in huge water puddles and getting totally covered in grass and bitten by all kinds of bugs, but definitely not caring!
Countless hours spent swinging on the front porch swing (and countless cousins dumped out of it into the bushes because we went to high).
Picking zipper peas from the field in the morning before it got too hot.
Picking blueberries.
Learning to drive a riding lawnmower.
Going to Panama city every year and snorkeling and swimming all day; then going to what used to be Miracle Strip amusement park.
Fish fries = fish (obviously), baked beans, cole slaw, hushpuppies, cheese grits, fried okra and eggplant, sweet tea, some sort of incredible pie or cake.
10+ cousins using my aunt's jacuzzi as a swimming pool.
Realizing that I am related to probably at least half of the town in one way or another.
Shopping at the Piggly Wiggly and the Dollar General for any and every item that was needed.

These are a few memories that I have. Not the traditional family vacation, certainly not the most glamorous, but I will never forget these summers. They helped shape who I am, and whenever I come back, I remember that I come from these people - they are a part of me, just like these memories.

So, I will be thankful for my roots. Even while I am also thankful that I don't wake up every day at home with a cockroach in my bed! (REALLY, quite thankful for that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment