Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Vitality and Practicality

I love how God's timing is always just right. I was at the college and 20-somethings Coffeehouse the other night at my church, and we had a discussion that was incredibly timely.

We have been talking about the beginnings of the monarchy in Israel, and this week we specifically discussed Saul's kingship and the mistakes that led to his removal from the throne. This account brings up difficult questions - why did God put Saul in this position of authority when He knew that Saul would be led astray by the lull of power? Why was one mistake punished so harshly? Why did Saul become more hard-hearted rather than being broken by the Lord's discipline? I don't know how thoroughly we can answer any of these questions, but we can heed the warning that is evident from these events - those whom God has placed in positions of leadership and authority need to be very careful.

Our enemy is described as a prowling, roaring lion; the Father of Lies, the Adversary. None of those titles are given to one who is weak or mild-mannered. He is against us - on the alert for weaknesses and ready to attack at any moment. Why we continue to think that we can somehow stand up against his attacks on our own power, without preparing for a full-out battle as God's Word warns us to is beyond me, yet I often find myself giving into this mode of thinking. Yet the risk of giving into sin is so high, especially with those in positions of leadership. With others looking to you for spiritual leadership, observing what a life lived to the glory of God is supposed to look like, falling to sin in serious ways could do huge amounts of damage. We talked about how this kind of sin could cause someone to lose his or her ability to serve God in many ways, and possibly for a long time.

Of course all sin is serious and against the Lord, but I'm focusing more about the damage that can be done to others and to your ministry because of certain sins. And we must guard carefully against pride in our thoughts and hearts and attitudes - because none of us are above falling into sin in a major way. Moses fell, Saul fell, David fell, Peter fell, etc. So not necessarily a feel-good reminder from the Lord, but a very practical one! I'm about to go into a new ministry where could have a serious position of influence over many college students. I need to be on guard against sin! I need to be honest with myself about my vulnerability to falling. I need to pray for humility, for a hatred of sin, and for the motivation and desire to be in the Word of God, in prayer, and walking more and more in constant fellowship with the Lord. My brother said a phrase a couple of months ago that really stuck with me: "starve the flesh, feed the spirit." That's a great motto and practice. I think one of the most beneficial and practical prayers that I can pray constantly is for God to keep me humble - give me an accurate view of who I am and who You are.

So I will continue to pray for this, and pray it with a refreshed understanding of how much is at stake. Thank you so much to those of you who are praying with and for me - maybe this will give you something specific to focus on!

No comments:

Post a Comment